HAPPY 199TH BIRTHDAY, MAESTRO GIUSEPPE VERDI!!!!!
To celebrate the maestro’s birthday, I am holding a “‘Sempre Libera’ off”! Below, I have posted 10 different singer’s interpretations of the aria ‘Sempre Libera’ from La Traviata, you listen to them, and vote for your favorite! GO!
- Anna Netrebko from 2004.
- Anna Moffo in a 1968 film version of the opera. Her lip synching isn’t so great, but the music is beautiful nonetheless!
- Renee Fleming in 2007. I’m seeing Renee in Otello at the Met this weekend and I’m going to meet her after! I’m so excited!
- Beverly Sills in 1976.
- Joan Sutherland in 1966.
- Angela Gheorghiu in 2007.
- Maria Callas, year unspecified.
- Illeana Cotrubas in 1981.
- Natalie Dessay. Dessay had trouble with this role last season at the Met. The video I picked is her most recent Violetta from the Met in 2011.
- Teresa Stratas from the Zeffirelli movie in 1983.
Now, it’s your turn to VOTE! Who’s your favorite Violetta?
Who did I leave out? What components, both vocal and dramatic make a good Violetta? Tell me in the comments and send Maestro Verdi some birthday wishes too! 🙂